Talisman Vimeo Videos

Sunday 30 March 2014

Milder but still firm!





A bit breezy and hazy so I hiked into Coire an t-Sneachda with my skis on my pack and then climbed up to the summit via Windy Col for an evening slide back to the car on empty pistes. Unless you start from the ski area or go via Lurchers (still a walk), it's easier carrying skis on the dry paths rather than skinning between the snow patches below 800 metres.
The milder temps have taken there toll on Cairngorm Mountain's lower runs though it's still possible to ski back to the carpark. From mid mountain upwards there's still tons of the white stuff with the middle section of the Coire Cas Gunbarrel being almost flat!
Having said that the summit of Cairngorm is surprisingly devoid of snow although there's plenty on the plateau, in the coires and in the gullies.
Today it was all still very firm with only the surface softening later in the day, above 900 metres and firming up again as I headed back!
Very little change in the gully climbs from my last visit a few days ago and one or two folk were making the most of the almost deserted coires.
I had fun playing with my head-cam as a pole-cam as I ski down the Cas headwall on lovely spring snow - see below!


No comments: